Students in grades six, seven and eight comprise our Middle School. Our academic program begins in homeroom and then the children rotate classes between three main teachers and five part time teachers.
• Use of Bible
• Creation and study of Old Testament
• Family Life Program
Reading and Language Arts
Our focus is to prepare the sixth grade child to master comprehension, reading and expressive writing skills by the end of the year:
• Comprehension Skills/Literacy Elements using a literature-based textbook and trade books
• Vocabulary instruction with context clues strategies
• Writing: Complete sentences and essay development skills
• Expository writing and journal writing
• Grammar, usage and mechanics with daily editing practice
• Probability and Statistics
• Introduction to Algebra
• Decimals and Measurement
• Number Theory
• Fractions - add, subtract, multiply, divide
• Polygons and Integers
• Coordinate Plane
• Ratio and Proportion
• Area and Volume
• Ancient Civilization
• Map and Graph Skills
Each Science class consists of weekly labs and participation in the annual Science Fair. Sixth grade offers a course of study in General Science, providing an overall view of:
• Life Science: Cells, Heredity, Adaptations, Ecosystems
• Earth Science: Weather, Earth Processes, The Universe, Conservation
• Physical Science: Heat, Change in matter, Motion, Light, Color and sound
Additional Middle School academics and activities for sixth grade students:
• Spanish classes three times per week
• Weekly Physical Education, Art, Library and Music class
• The students may participate in a band program that runs independently in the school. Band students may also participate in the regional honors band.
• The students are taught to demonstrate their knowledge with projects, testing, and oral presentations.
• Students who achieve academic honors are recognized at our quarterly honors assembly.
• Iowa testing as a means of assessing mastery beyond our local level.
• Class Masses, Social Justice Service projects, younger grade buddy activities, middle school team building events and sports. Middle School students are invited to join all of the youth activities for Saint Bridget Parish.