In second grade the focus is the study of the Mass, preparing students to receive the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist and advancing Reading and Math skills.
• Prayer - Traditional and spontaneous
• Scripture Readings from the Gospels
• Liturgical seasons and celebrations
• Sacramental Reception. This program involves parent participation to enable the family and child to understand the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist.
• Understanding family and faith as a part of their lives.
Reading and Language Arts
Students continue to learn and practice Language Arts strategies to become more independent readers and writers:
• Phonics & Decoding methods
• Comprehension skills
• Fact finding & Sequencing
• Personal Reading – Incorporating skills in all content areas and nonfiction as well as independent reading. Daily silent reading is encouraged at home and becomes an integral component in the instructional day.
• Cursive Handwriting is introduced.
• Daily journal entries
• Friendly letters
• Punctuation and Grammar
Use of manipulatives and symbols help the students to learn Math strategies necessary for daily life.
• Data collection and interpretation
• Computation (+, -, x)
• Problem solving
• Classification &Sequencing
• Money Application
• Time & Measurement
The children develop an understanding of their place in the world by being exposed to ideas about:
• Our Country
• Our World
Science and Health
The children utilize reading and discussion, observation in topics such as:
• Earth Science
• Physical Science
• Life Science
Regular weekly programs in computer integration in curriculum, Gym, Library, Art and Music Appreciation help to enhance the learning process.
Second Grade is a year where students develop more independent academic skills and understanding of God’s love for them personally.